Back to Home Safety
Back to Home Safety
The kitchen, by its very nature, is by far
the most dangerous room in a home. Take the room size, the hustle and bustle, the little
precious ones who are constantly underfoot ( why are they always so hungry ?
), then take into account the appliances, utensils, and the what-nots dumped on the
counter. Add to this your tension as yet another dinner deadline not being met. Baby
screaming, fries burning, telephone ringing, neighbor at the door again borrowing
an egg. Sound familiar ? All this makes for potential accidents.
Lets take a quick look around the
kitchen and look for a few some potential dangerous items :
- Soaps, detergents, chemicals ( bleach, caustic soda, etc. )
stored under the sink.
- Traps , bait and sprays used in the war against creepers,
crawlers, and vermin.
- Raw fruit and vegetables such as onions, garlic, hot
peppers, cucumbers, grapes etc.
- Flatware ( yes, even plastic ) , matches, stove, highchair,
hot oven door,
- Glasses, cans, mugs, etc. left on the edge of the counter.
* When cooking
on the stove, always turn the pot handles towards the back.
* Watch what you heat. Never leave cooking unattended
(a watched pot does boil).
* Store all sharps ( knives, forks, corkscrews, etc. )
and other dangerous utensils
out of reach.
latches on cabinets that contain cleaning liquids,
bleach and dishwasher detergent.
* Install a safety latch on the
oven door if your child is able to open it.
* Keep electrical cords out of reach. When an
appliance isnt in use - unplug it.
* Don't keep harmless vitamins on the kitchen table. Iron pills are the leading
cause of poisoning deaths in children under 6.
Medications dont belong in the kitchen, the humidity breaks down its
* Keep hot foods and drinks away
from the edge of tables and counters. Especially
dangerous is hot drinks ona tablecloth, which a child
can easily pull down.
* If you're holding something hot,
don't hold your child, too.
* Flammable liquids ( turpentine et all ) have
no business being in the kitchen.
* NEVER cook with loose fitting
clothing, they may catch fire.
* Small pieces of fruit and vegetables can cause
choking if swallowed by an infant, keep them out of reach.
* Children should NEVER be allowed to use grinders,
mixers, beaters, etc.
* Infants should not be left in a highchair unattended
- even for just a second .
* The microwave oven should be tested for radiation
leaks every six months.
* Toys dont belong in the kitchen!
* Remember, children have the knack of getting into /
out of just where they dont belong !
for supervision ! !
Boruch Rofeh Cholim
Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material for non-commercial purposes
as long as credit line is included.